Friday, July 23, 2010

Sweet Summertime


Oh I miss those days as the years go by. Oh nothing's sweeter than summertime.

I just love summer. Some of my best childhood memories are of summer. Days spent at the pool in Jackson. Going to the creek with cousins. Shelling peas, butterbeans and anything else you could shell. Clarke County pears. Fresh squash. Eating cold watermelon in the backyard. Swinging on the front porch with PawPaw. Eating Ed's at Nanny's. The sweet smell of plums. The song of the whippoorwill. Snow cones. Fourth of July fun at Aunt Carolyn's. The taste of an ice cold Coca-Cola Classic. Planning sleepovers. That feeling you have when you get home from the pool, change into your dry clothes and lay down for a nap. Ah, the list could go on for days. I have so many incredible memories and I just wish I could somehow go back in time to experience it once more. Summers in Walker Springs are hard to describe with words. It was more of a feeling. I think it's one of the many pleasures of growing up in the good 'ole South. It makes me sad that Davis won't have the kind of childhood that I had. I guess that will be my mission - to make sure Davis has the best childhood possible. A childhood that he'll look back on as fondly as I do my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment